“The institute, where I am operational, had been making use of Outlook in order to carry out any sort of communications, both internally and externally, for the last 3 or 4 years. However, recently it has decided to switch the email client and we all have been informed to migrate Outlook OST files to Thunderbird, but I don’t know how to do that. Even some of my colleagues aren’t aware of the procedure. Therefore, I want to know the simplest and quickest way to achieve this task. I don’t want to misplace any of my files. Please help me out!”
Just like the above-mentioned user query, there are several users who want to know the solution for the same. If you are one of them, then we ensure that this article is definitely going to help you out.
Mozilla Thunderbird brings forth a lot of advantages for the users. Hence, the email client has become quite famous among them. Among all, one of the best features of Thunderbird is that it has a simple user interface and offers multiple features like channel chat, large file management, mail account setup wizard, and more. All these attributes push Outlook users to give Thunderbird a try.
In the below segment, we will discuss the complete solution for Outlook OST to Thunderbird migration. By the end of this article, you will get to know how to execute this entire conversion process without anyone’s help. However, let’s start with a key difference between Outlook OST and MBOX. Also, some major factors responsible for the conversion of OST file to Thunderbird.
Comparison Between Outlook OST and Thunderbird MBOX
We all are aware of the fact that OST and MBOX are two different file extensions, as well as supported by different email clients. What qualities make both the files dissimilar, let’s find out.
OST: It’s a file extension associated with one of the most well-known email clients amongst big enterprises, i.e., Outlook. This file format helps users to store the complete Outlook data, which includes emails, notes, contacts, tasks, calendars, journals, and more. Moreover, it takes care of the complete storage of MS Outlook mailbox and allows users to work even in offline mode.
MBOX: MBOX is also a popular file extension, which is versatile in nature. MBOX is compatible with a lot of email applications. Talking one of its key email clients, it is Thunderbird. It is a free and open-source email application, which stores the entire data in a safe manner.
Why Do You Need to Import OST File into Thunderbird?
There are a bunch of reasons where you require to convert OST to Thunderbird. Once you convert your data, you would be able to access the OST file in Mozilla Thunderbird. Here are a few factors accountable behind this:
- Pricing Problem: If you have OST files, the Microsoft Outlook doesn’t let you import them in Outlook because of several security authentications. Therefore, you have to import them to Thunderbird as it is a free email client.
- Issues with Data Compatibility: Suppose you have an OST file and now you wish to access it in Thunderbird, it won’t be possible unless the migration of OST is done. After the conversion, the file can directly be used in Thunderbird.
- Appropriate for Personal Use: Outlook is amongst one of the most famous email clients that introduce with the Microsoft Office. Thus, it’s impossible for small companies or home users to afford expensive email client. Whereas Thunderbird is a free, as well as open-source email application which is effortlessly available for users.
Transfer OST to Thunderbird within a Few Clicks
Since there is no manual method to migrate your OST files to Mozilla Thunderbird, you need to opt for a third-party utility. However, now the question is how to choose the best tool?
OST to MBOX Converter by IGNISSTA is one of the best tools when it comes to any kind of conversion. You can convert OST to PST, EML, MBOX, and more. What makes the utility amazing is its multiple features and simple user-interface. Yes, you don’t have to be tech-savvy, in order to access this tool. Just install it and complete the entire migration process in one go. In addition, it can even migrate orphaned or corrupted OST data files effortlessly. Let’s just have a look at the working of the tool.
How Does the Tool work?
As mentioned above, the OST file Converter is very simple to use, so don’t have to worry much. Firstly, download and install the software in your system and then follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open OST Converter in your system.
- Now, browse or find the Select the OST within the Drive to Scan the entire data.
- After this, go to the preview option and check out the scan files.
- As soon as you do this, hit on the button of Next. Select the file format in which you migrate the data, i.e. MBOX.
- You can even pick Split and Filter Option if you want to diminish your OST files.
- Pick the path, you want to save the migrated files.
- Once you do this, the conversion will start.
- Finally, export OST file into required format such as MBOX.
Now you need to export MBOX file into the Thunderbird account.
Export MBOX Files in Thunderbird
First, users have to download and install “ImportExportTools” and on to move MBOX to Thunderbird. It’s imperative to make sure that the backup of the MBOX data file is built to prevent any probability of data loss, in case the import procedure gets failed or interrupted. After this, follow the steps:
- Go to Tools >> ImportExportTools >> Import MBOX file on Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Now, import one or several MBOX files straightly in the dialogue box occurred. In addition, you can modify the option chosen as per your requirements and hit on the OK button.
- Finally, pick the MBOX and click Open. The MBOX data file is to migrate to Thunderbird.
Tip: If you want to import only selected emails from OST file to Thunderbird account, then you can export OST data file into EML file format directly and import into Mozilla Thunderbird.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we have given a dependable resolution to import Outlook OST file into Thunderbird account. The utility allows offers the simplest solution to migrate emails from OST to Mozilla Thunderbird, along with the attachments. Moreover, it is a fast and trouble-free resolution for users to move OST files into Thunderbird. You need to install Outlook, in order to perform this migration with the tool.
I hope, you must have found the article useful. In case, you have any queries related to any kind of file migration or file repairing, then mention it in the comment section below. We will definitely try to help you out. All the best for data migration.