Do you need to extract contacts from OST file to PST? Want to make them available in your Outlook email client since MS Exchange has failed because of the synchronization problem? If your answer is yes, then we are here to help you out.
The OST stores data, which includes calendars, journals, and contacts of Exchange mailboxes on the users’ devices. It makes the process of accessing all the data available in their mailbox in case the Exchange Server isn’t available. However, to use the OST file, it is imperative to convert OST to Outlook PST file. Before knowing the process of extracting contacts from OST, let’s understand the reason behind this.
Reasons to Take Out Contacts from OST File
The reason behind dragging contacts file from OST are many. It totally depends on the needs of users. At times, they need to build contacts’ backup and store it on the machine or device. In other scenarios, users wish to migrate Outlook OST contacts into some different file formats.
Didn’t get? Let’s go through two users’ queries taken from the forum site.
“I wanted to extract contacts from OST as I needed to build their backup present in the OST data file. So, I started searching for the extraction process over the Internet. However, I didn’t get any trusted solution. Can anyone help me out with a simple technique that removes the OST file size limitation as well.”
“I have multiple contacts in OST format, and I wish to use, as well as convert them into Outlook PST. Therefore, I am looking for a reliable solution to extract contacts from OST without any loss of data. Please suggest me an efficient and simple way to perform this task.”
Two Key Methods to Retrieve Contacts from OST Data File
There are generally two solutions that can help users to extract Outlook contacts from OST file.
- Manual Method: With the Help of Import or Export Feature of MS Outlook
- Automated Method: With the Help of a Third-Party Solution
Method 1: Extract Outlook Contacts from OST File Free or Manually
Microsoft Outlook consists of import/Export feature that can help users to extract contacts from OST when they are connected to MS Exchange via their Exchange profiles. In order to do this task, you need to follow certain steps:
- Step 1: Open the “Outlook” program on your system and hit on the ‘File’ tab available in it.
- Step 2: Now, click on the ‘Open & Export’ option, which is available on the left of Outlook’s interface. Once you do this, four ‘Open’ options, which include ‘Import/Export’.
- Step 3: Hit on the ‘Import/Export’ (Export or Import file or settings)’ button. While you do this, ‘Import and Export Wizard’ dialog box will appear in front of you.
- Step 4: After this, in the Import and Export Wizard dialog box, choose Export to a File and hit on the Next. As soon as you do so, the ‘Export to a File’ box will occur.
- Step 5: Now, click on the ‘Export to a File,’ which gives ‘Create a file of type’ choices, hit on ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’. Now, hit on ‘Next’ and then, the ‘Export Outlook Data File’ box occurs.
- Step 6: Once you do this, the ‘Export Outlook Data File’ box will appear, choose ‘Select the folder to export from’ and then, pick the Contact folder followed by the hit on the Next button.
- Step 7: In the ‘Export Outlook Data File’ box, which gives the option of ‘Save exported file as’, hit on the ‘Button’ and pick the file storing location.
- Step 8: Then, you need to click on the ‘Finish’ tab. You can see the ‘Create Outlook Data File’ dialog box.
Important Note: Prior to clicking on Finish tab, select one of 3 alternatives, as mentioned:
- Replace duplicates with items exported
- Do not export duplicate items
- Allow duplicate items to be created
- Step 9: After this, in ‘Create Outlook Data File’ box, generate a password-secured PST Outlook data file by putting a ‘password’ in the ‘Password’
- Step 10: Now, by performing all the above mentioned-nine steps, it’s possible for you to extract ‘contracts’ from Outlook OST. However, the procedure should be executed appropriately to get the preferred result.
Though, it’s possible to export Outlook contacts from OST format with the help of the above-stated method. However, there are certain shortcomings associated with this process as well:
- A time-consuming and complicated procedure
- The danger of data loss at the time of extracting contacts
- You must have the technical knowledge to execute all these steps
- It’s not possible to retrieve corrupt or damaged OST file
- Connectivity to MS Exchange Server is needed to extract Outlook contacts from OST file
- Most of the users fail to execute because of its complicated steps.
Method 2: Automated Solution for Extracting Contact from OST File
After knowing that that above procedure has a few limitations associated with it, you certainly going to be tensed. Well, there is no need for it. As you can find a reliable and effortless method of retrieving contacts from OST.
Yes, you can use OST Converter Software by IGNISSTA. This is one of the trusted tools when it comes to converting OST files contacts in required formats at once.
This makes the entire process hassle-free and straightforward. This utility is integrated with multiple attributes that lets you retrieve contacts from OST file within some easy clicks. With the help of this tool, there is no danger of data since it is developed with the modern algorithm.
There is no doubt, the software offers an easy and friendly interface, in order to convert OST items to multiple file formats. One of the best parts of this tool is that it can be downloaded on different versions of MS Outlook.
The Bottom Line
While going for the manual approach to extract contacts from OST file, a user might have to handle several challenges. Considering the several consequences of the manual solution, it’s wise to pick a professional software. It’s a futuristic utility breaking all the limitations of the manual approaches. So, what are you waiting for? Get the tool and pull out all your contacts from Outlook OST file.