Just like PST, OST is the other storage file of Microsoft Outlook which builds it feasible for users to store their contacts, tasks, emails, calendars, and more. OST allows users to extract data even without any connectivity with the Microsoft Exchange.
However, when Outlook OST data file fails to load, it formulates irritation for users since they don’t able to access the complete information, stored in OST. So, what to do in such situations?
There are scenarios where you can use some inbuild processes of automated solutions to convert OST file into Outlook data file(.pst), in order to access it completely.
Today, we are going to learn some quick methods to resolve the OST file failed to load error, but before that let’s check out some more crucial information that can be useful for you.
General OST File Errors in Microsoft Outlook
MS Outlook users must be aware of the OST file. Therefore, there are probabilities that they may face the issues, like OST cannot be accessed. A number of some additional OST errors which are quite common and faced by users include:
- OST is in use by the other application
- OST file is Not a Valid File
- Outlook OST file is not an offline folder
- Default Outlook.ost is in use & cannot be accessed
- The set of folders can’t be displayed
What is Outlook.ost Cannot be Opened Error?
If you are getting an error message stating Outlook OST cannot be opened at the time you use Outlook OST, you can make an attempt to access the OST data file with the help of specific solutions, including, turning off Compatibility Mode, starting OST file in Safe Mode, and much more. However, if nothing solves out the issue and the OST still doesn’t get open, don’t lose hope.
Yes, there are methods to get rid of the error. However, why does this error occur?
Why OST File Failed to Open Error Occurs in Outlook?
There are a few common reasons which might result in the Outlook.ost can’t be an open error, such as:
- Unexpected Microsoft Outlook’s termination when OST is in use
- Inappropriate installation of Outlook
- Import of OST in the wrong manner
- Obstacle while sharing Outlook OST across the network
- Synchronization error between Exchange Server and OST data file mailbox items
How to Deal with OST File Failed to Load Error?
There are 2 methods to resolve OST file cannot be opened error.
- Method 1: Fix OST is being used and cannot be accessed manually
- Method 2: Automated Solution to Solve OST File Failed Error
Manual Methods to Fix OST File is in Use and Cannot be Accessed
Users can fix the OST file error by utilizing manual procedures. Here are some of the key solutions for the same:
Approach 1: End Complete Outlook Associated Processes
- Close Microsoft Outlook
- Then, make a right-click on the Taskbar and hit on Task Manager
- After this, move to the Processes option
- Here, you need to search for the processes Lync, Communicator, or Outlook.
- If any of the processes found, choose, and hit on End Process.
Approach 2: Disable MS Outlook Cached MS Exchange Mode
- Firstly, close Outlook and navigate to Control panel
- In the Control Panel, hit on Mail, and then select Email Accounts
- Once you do this, click on the Email tab
- After this, click on Exchange & then on Change
- You need to unmark the option of using Cached Exchange Mode available under offline settings
- Then, hit on Next, in order to finish the process.
Approach 3: Disable the MS Outlook Add-ins
Though add-ins are utilized to boost Outlook’s functionality, defective add-ins might generate more worry. Therefore, disable or inactivate the add-ins via releasing the Microsoft Outlook in safe mode.
You can do this by typing Safe in the Run box. Attempt “Save and Send” & if it functions, a damaged add-in is the chief motive behind the mistake. Moreover, you can begin. Outlook in safe mode with the help of implementing certain steps:
- Go to shortcut icon for MS Outlook
- Now, press & hold the CTRL-key. Double-click the application shortcut
- Hit on ‘Yes’ at the time a window prompt occurs asking if you wish to begin the Outlook in Safe Mode
Approach 4: Repair OST with ScanOST.exe
Microsoft provides users with a tool to repair its data file, which is inbuilt. This tool is known as ScanOST.exe and quite helpful in rectifying minor corruptions/damages in OST files.
Repairing OST with ScanOST.exe is an amazing method to resolve “Outlook.ost can’t be opened” error. Nevertheless, this inbuilt tool is accessible with MS Outlook 2007 and lower editions only.
- First, exit the Outlook and go to your system’s directory where Microsoft Outlook has been available. Then, go to the ScanOST.exe, as well as double-click to launch it.
- The email client is going to prompt you to choose the OST file, which you want to repair.
- Browse to choose the OST. In case, you are not aware of the precise location, find it via typing the below-mentioned command in the Run dialog box: “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Outlook\”
- After this, choose the suitable mailbox and additional choices accordingly
- Finally, choose “Repair Errors” & hit on “Begin Scan” to check and eliminate the inconsistencies in the Outlook OST file automatically.
Why Not Go for Manual Methods?
- The manual procedures are quite long, time-taking, and tedious.
- It is an unwieldy job for non-technical folks as it needs a few technical knowledge.
- It doesn’t guarantee data security and integrity.
Method 2: Automated Solution to Solve OST File Can’t Be Opened Error
MS Outlook has given a built-in way to migrate OST to PST. However, this trick assists merely when the OST data file is healthy. If you want to convert Outlook OST, which fails to load, you need to go for a third-party tool.
Now, the question is how to choose a reliable software?
You can opt for OST to PST Converter by IGNISSTA, which handles errors associated with OST file damage and even converts it to an accessible PST. It is possible to resolve OST error unable to increase the folder, OST file is damaged and can’t be opened error, OST file can’t be accessed, failed to open OST file, and a lot more errors effortlessly.
Moreover, you can gain access to MS Outlook OST attributes, including notes, calendars, contacts, emails, tasks, and more. Also, it’s possible to restore the entire data from a particular attribute; for instance, you can get the whole message body with the subject, BCC, CC, as well as recipient information.
Among all the tools available in the market, this is one of the most trusted and amazing tools.
In the following write-up, we have learned some methods to solve the OST file failed to load error, a lot of reasons behind why this error occurs, and what is the best technique to deal with it. I hope all the points are clear to you. If you still have any doubts, you can mention them in the comment section below.