Microsoft has developed an emailing program that is MS Outlook. By using MS Outlook, we can send and receive emails even if there is no internet connectivity. Outlook stores our contacts, calendars, and notes, etc. We can use MS Outlook for individual purposes or with a group of users.
This email client creates two types of files format. One is OST & the second is PST. Outlook OST files are used for working offline with data. You can work on this file even in the absence of the server connection. Outlook.ost files have an option available that stores a local copy of all the data on the user’s computer. However, sometimes users want to change the OST file location.
Today, we are going to put some light on how to change the location of the OST file. But, before that, let’s go through the location of this file format and the reasons behind changing its location.
Instant Solution: Want to convert offline Outlook data file to PST format? Try the advanced Ignissta OST2PST converter and perform the conversion successfully.
Importance of Using Microsoft Outlook
- Faster processing of Email: By using MS Outlook we can send or receive emails in a faster way. We can read or send our emails in MS Outlook even if there is no network connection available. This feature of MS Outlook is unique and faster, and effective for making the communication.
- Reminder for the attachment of emails: It is the best feature of MS Outlook. If any user forgets to add or insert the attachment email message then this program of MS Outlook will call up. This feature is very useful for an official purpose so that you can send your emails on time and with proper attachments.
- Social Connectivity: MS Outlook has a different feature of ‘social connectors, ‘ that help professionals for better communication platforms. Using this function professionals will always update with everyday activities that are published on social activity Platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter which is very useful for them to maintain social connections with their clients.
- Customized Calendars: By using this feature of MS Outlook you can manage appointments and events as per your or other users/clients convenient. Calendars also offer a “weather forecast feature” that keeps users updated about weather conditions/reports. So, that you can manage local, or outside meetings/appointments according to that.
- Time-saving: In MS Outlook 2013, the feature of shortcut keys is highly used to make email communication easier & time-saving. Any user who sends/receives many email messages on a daily basis can save time and effort to complete any task using shortcut keys.
Reasons to Change the Location of OST Files
The process to change the location Of the PST file is far easier when we compare it with the OST file. The process of changing the location of the OST file is a little complicated. Let us try to understand the most probable reasons behind the change of location for OST files. There are many reasons behind the change in the location of OST files. The most common are:
- Generally, OST files to take a lot of spaces in C Drives. Sometimes storage capacity of C Drive is full due to the high amount of data stored. The performance of your system becomes very poor, and your system starts working too slow. In that case, we have to change the location of the OST files.
- In some other cases, few clients want to change the location of OST files due to their personal security purpose.
We are fully aware of why there is a need to change the location of OST files. Now we will try to learn how to change the location of OST files in Outlook. Whatever work we do offline in our outlook the OST files are responsible to save all data on the hard drive. So, it is problematic to change the location of OST files. We will show you the process to change the track of OST files by the below-mentioned method.
Methods to Change Outlook OST File Location
There are two methods through which we can change the location of OST files.
Method 1-Registry Method
We can change the location of OST files by using the Registry editor method. No matter what versions of outlook are being used this is the best way to change the location of OST files. Let us find out the process below mentioned:
- Starting with, press (Windows + R) keys on your system to open a Run dialogue box.
- After that type in the Run box and click the OK button. The Registry Editor page will be opened in front of you.
- Then, use the following key as per the version of Outlook.
Key for Outlook version 2016 is:
Key for Outlook version 2013 is:
Key for Outlook version 2010 is:
Key for Outlook version 2007 is:
- After entering the key as per outlook version, now right-click on an empty area on the right side of the registry editor page.
- A pop up will open on your screen. There are few options on that box. Click on the Expendable string value.
- A new value is generated. Now, in the Edit String dialogue box, click on force OST path.
- Give a name to the value string. Now you have to enter a new location for where the OST files can be stored.
- Finally, click on the ok button. Shut down the registry editor followed by restarting your system.
Method 2: Using an Outlook Email client
In this method, the user has to be very much aware of the default location of OST files to move OST files to another location. Let’s learn the process which is below mentioned:
- Open, File >> info >> Account settings >> Data Files. Pick ‘ Exchange server, ‘ account, & select settings.
- Now open, ‘Microsoft Exchange server, ‘ account, and click on the ‘Advanced, ‘ option. Then you will get a ‘Used Cached Exchange option, ‘ mark it as uncheck and select the ok button. If there is any pop-up or prompt click.
- Now in ‘Advanced, ‘ tab select, ‘Outlook data file settings, ‘ then there you will find the option of ‘ Disable offline use, ‘ click on ‘yes’!
- After this select outlook, Data File settings and you will find out option for ‘ I want to move old files’ select it. After all, click on the browse tab and select it and then move the OST folder to a new location then click on the open push ok button.
- When in case of ‘Advanced Microsoft Exchange program, ‘ make a checkmark on ‘Use Cached Exchange mode, ‘ after that click on ‘ok, ‘ again you will have clicked on ‘ok.”
- Whenever it gives prompts to restart Outlook email you have to Close both the Account Settings and the Mail Setup dialogue boxes, and in the Mail dialogue box click on the OK button.
So, that’s all from my end! You can use any of the above-discussed methods to change your OST file location. Also, you can use a third-party tool to make the entire process easy and quick.