Getting an error, i.e., “OST is not an Outlook Data file” in your MS Outlook version 2010 or 2013 or 2016 or 2019? Are you afraid of your data? If yes, then there is no need to worry at all, as this is one of the common issues in MS Outlook.
Today, we are going to give you some quick, hassle-free, and guaranteed solutions to resolve this problem. However, before that, let’s have a quick overview of Outlook and the reasons behind this error.
In the current era, Microsoft Outlook plays a crucial role when it comes to organizing your email data. It is a very popular email client, which lets you execute multiple emailing actions to sort out your email data.
Among all, the most fascinating thing about this email application is that it allows you to work in offline mode as well. Yes, you can get access to your data without the internet connection or when there is some issue in your internet.
At the time, the connection gets established once again between Outlook and Exchange Server, it will automatically update the complete data in your Exchange account.
Nevertheless, there are multiple scenarios, where you can get some unpredictable errors or issues, like OST file not recognized by MS Outlook. There are different messages that you can see on your screen, such as:
- Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
- Cannot open your default email folder. The file xxx.ost is not an offline folder file.
- exchange.ost is not an outlook data file
- mail.ost is not an outlook data file
- new.ost is not an outlook data file
- default outlook profile.ost is not an outlook data file
- ost is not a valid outlook data file
Some Users’ Queries
Query 1: “I am working in an IT company and we use Microsoft Outlook 2016 to handle all our emails or to communicate. However, when I am trying to open my OST file, it is showing an error, i.e., “OST file cannot be accessed.” This is the first time I am facing a problem like this. I don’t know the reason behind this, but really needed my file. Can anyone tell me the method to resolve this problem?”
Query 2: “My boss has shared some OST files with me to check the business plan. When I am trying to use those files, it’s showing an error like “new.ost is not an outlook data file.” I have tried the same thing for almost 3-4 times. In the beginning, I thought there was some internet issue, but now I realized that the problem is something else. Please help me to resolve this error.
The error messages can differ, depending upon the Microsoft Outlook version you are using. Now the question is, why do you get such errors? Let ‘s find out!
Why OST is Not a Valid Outlook Data File Error Occurs?
This error can occur due to several reasons and generally, when Outlook doesn’t identify the OST file. It displays the error text message that “OST isn’t the data file used by MS Outlook.” Since, the Microsoft Outlook email client offers amazing safety; thus, it doesn’t let you use OST mailbox data. A few of the usual causes because of which profile.ost isn’t a Microsoft Outlook file problem is triggered are stated below:
- Corruption in Offline Storage Table (.ost) file
- Unexpected or sudden power failure
- When there is some synchronization between Outlook and Exchange Server
- All of the sudden termination of MS Outlook
- Synchronization issues between Exchange Server and Outlook
- Unexpected termination of Microsoft Outlook
Now, as you know the reason behind this error, let’s just look at all the possible solutions.
How to Resolve Exchange.ost is Not Outlook Data File Error?
In case you are dealing with error while accessing the OST file in MS Outlook, it is crucial to be familiar with the default position of your .ost file. This is where you can search for your OST file
C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\user name\username.ost.
Steps You Can Implement to Fix OST is Not a Valid Outlook Data File Error
The tricks are many when it comes to resolving or fixing this problem. It’s possible to opt for the manual technique. The steps are provided below to resolve “mail.ost is not an outlook data file” error:
- To begin with, exit Outlook. Then, move to Control Panel, followed by a hit on the Mail button.
- Now, in Mail Setup, select Show Profiles. Select your profile and pick properties.
- After this, choose Exchange Account in the Mail tab.
- Hit on Change button and enable Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Move to more settings available in the Advanced tab and choose offline folder file settings.
- As soon as you do this, choose to disable offline use alternative and hit on Yes.
- Go to offline folder file settings, choose ok and yes.
- Now, under settings Cached Exchange Mode, mark on Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Click on OK button, click on Next and finally, click on Finish option.
- Close Mail Setup wizard and Account Settings.
The manual technique mentioned above may aid you to solve the problem. However, it is a tough job for the non-technical folks. In addition, you don’t like a resolution in which you need to handle a few problems or may lose their significant data.
Therefore, it’s obvious that you search for a trusted technique. With IGNISSTA OST to PST Converter Tool, it is possible to recover your corrupt OST file within a few clicks.
It is a reliable software for you if you are not able to use an offline Outlook file. The software is so easy and effortless to utilize which turns the complete process effective for you. It is possible to fix corruptions in OST files.
Outlook is used for multiple purposes, like sharing data, keeping the emails, scheduling meetings, and much more. Nevertheless, just like any other email client, there are some errors associated with it and one of them is OST is not an Outlook Data file.
Therefore, we have discussed some workable solutions for this error in the above write-up. If you still have any issues, do mention in the comment section below.